One of the most important messages we share as missionaries is . .
That each can do as Joseph Smith did, and ask of God. This truly is the essence of missionary work. To share a message that the missing principles of the Gospel of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints have once again been restored to the earth.
And the only want to know for a certainty that these are true gospel principles is to do as the young boy prophet Joseph Smith did and ask of God.
If any of you lack bwisdom, let him ask of God, that cgiveth to all men liberally, anddupbraideth not; and it shall be given him. --James 1:5
In this we find the pattern to know the truth of all things.
(La Lima, Pineda and Santa Rita zones)
The Book of Mormon provides it's own witness that each man can know of a certainly who seeks to know the truth of all things
3 Behold, I would exhort
t you that when ye shall read these things, if it be wisdom in God
that ye should read them, that ye would remember how merciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation of Adam even down until the time that ye shall receive these things, and ponder it in your hearts.
4 And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.
5 And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things.
-- Moroni 10:3-5
Elder Lawrence E. Corbridge of the Seventy reaffirmed the basic gospel principles restored by the prophet Joseph Smith in his most recent conference address. Each of these principles is a message shared by the missionaries around the world as they invite others to come unto Christ by helping them to receive the restored gospel through faith in Jesus Christ, and His atonement, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end.
His counsel is an amazing topic and focuses on the principles shared in missionary work!
(Whew! It's been a busy time here in the mission . . . here's a little glimpse of the goings on . . . March and April were specialized training months with each of the 10 zones (sadly, I don't have a photo of the La Ceiba zone or Miramar to share :( April and May are interviews months with each of our 232 missionaries, and May will also bring our upcoming Multi Zone Conferences. We're also sharing a little glimpse from our last arrival of new missionaries and the transfer day in April.)
(Progreso North, Progreso South, Tocoa and Olanchito Zones)
Elder Corbridge -
The revelations poured out upon Joseph Smith affirm that he was a prophet of God. Let’s just look at some of them—just look at some of the light and truth revealed through him that shines in stark contrast to the common beliefs of his day and ours:
• God is a personal, exalted being, an Eternal Father. He is our Father.
• You are more than human. You are a child of God the Eternal Father and may become like Him6 if you will have faith in His Son, repent, receive ordinances, receive the Holy Ghost, and endure to the end.
(We were also blessed to enjoy a visit from our Area Medical Authority
Dr. Cragun and his wife. Once a month we enjoy P-day with a zone who did well
in achieving our mission goals - this is Zone Miramar for March)
• The Church of Jesus Christ today is fundamentally the same Church He organized during His mortal ministry, with prophets and apostles, Melchizedek and Levitical Priesthoods, elders, high priests, deacons, teachers, bishops, and the seventy, all as described in the Bible.
• Priesthood authority was withheld from the earth following the deaths of the Savior and His Apostles and was restored again in our day.
• Revelation has not ceased, and the heavens are not closed. God speaks to prophets today, and He will speak to you and me as well.
(Our new arrivals for April being greeted at the airport and at the
Stake Center. Two sisters joined the mission on dates other than the primary
• There is more after this life than only heaven and hell. There are degrees of glory, and it matters a great deal what we do in this life.9
• More than having a mere passive belief in Christ, we should “look unto [Him] in every thought,”10 “do all that [we do] in the name of the Son,”11 and “always remember him and keep his commandments … that [we] may always have his Spirit to be with [us].”12
• The billions who live and die without the gospel and the ordinances necessary for salvation are not lost. “Through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel,”13 administered for both the living and the dead.14
(Transfer meeting was probably our largest meeting yet in April, it
was quite the scramble. As well as the chaos that begins after the meeting as all
missionaries scramble for taxis and buses to all parts of the mission)
• Everything did not begin at birth. You lived before in the presence of God as His son or daughter and prepared for this mortal life.15
• Marriage and family are not conventions of men until only death do us part. They are intended to be made eternal through covenants we make with God. The family is the pattern of heaven.16
And this is only a part of the flood of revelation poured out upon Joseph Smith. Where did it all come from, these revelations which give light to darkness, clarity to doubt, and which have inspired, blessed, and improved millions of people? Which is more likely, that he dreamed it all up on his own or that he had the help of heaven? Do the scriptures he produced sound like the words of man or the words of God?
(We are always sad to see our most experienced missionaries and leaders
head for home. We miss them a great deal. These missionaries were Assistants,
Zone Leaders and Sister Training Leaders.)
There is no dispute about what Joseph Smith accomplished, only how he did what he did and why. And there are not many options. He was either pretender or prophet. Either he did what he did alone, or he had the help of heaven. Look at the evidence, but look at all of the evidence, the entire mosaic of his life, not any single piece. Most importantly, do as young Joseph and “ask … God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given [you].”17 This is not only how you may learn the truth about the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith; it is also the pattern to know the truth of all things.18
Joseph Smith was a prophet of God, as is Thomas S. Monson today. Through Joseph Smith, “the keys of the kingdom of God are [again] committed unto man on the earth, and … the gospel [will] roll forth … as the stone which is cut out of the mountain without hands … , until it has filled the whole earth.”19